Saturday, January 5, 2013

More or Less

In 2013, I am going to be more like Jesus.  I’m going to love the woman caught in adultery even though I know she’s been living in sin.  I’m going to treat her with the same kindness and respect I’d treat my momma.  I’m going to judge her less.  I’m going to spend less time thinking smugly about how much better I am and how small my “little” secret sins look in comparison.

In 2013, I am going to focus more on wellness.  I’m going to eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat and sugar.  I’m going to walk more and be more active and spend less time telling myself that I’m too tired or busy or whatever other excuse seems handy.  I’m going to remember that if the number on the scale is more this week than it was last week, it still doesn’t define me or determine my happiness.  But ultimately, I’ve decided that there will be less of me at the end of the year.

In 2013, I’m going to read more.  I’m going to savor the smell of books and the feel of beautiful words and phrases being absorbed from their pages.  I’m going to use my yellow highlighter more to mark the special words that touch my heart or make me think and feel less guilty about not owning an e-reader. 

In 2013, I’m going to write more and watch television less.  I’m going to use DVR more and watch commercials less.  I’m going to choose only a few shows to keep track of and let all the others go.  With more time, I’m going to write.  I’m going to spend less time thinking, “I should write about that,” and actually spend more time writing it.

Give more.  Take less.
Recycle more.  Trash less.
Play more.  Worry less.
Save more.  Spend less.
Bless more.  Neglect less.
Savor more.  Waste less.
Listen more.  Say less.
Forgive more.  Begrudge less.
Dream more.  Quit less.
Do more.  Try less.
Think more.  Speak less.
Grow more.  Complain less.
Love more.  Judge less.
Live more.  Regret less.
 
May your 2013 be more and less.

2 comments:

CristyThoughts said...

Love. Awesome. Hope your 2013 rocks. :)

Karen Gibson said...

Laura,
I could really copy and paste this and it could be mine. Thank you for putting my thoughts into your words. See, you are already writing more. Love you, friend.