Monday, February 4, 2013

Fake Mom

After school today, one of my kids called me on my cell phone because one of his buddies was looking for me in need of a registration card for night school.  I was in a classroom checking on another situation when the call came in.  I headed back to my office to find the caller had already gone, but his buddy was waiting.  This same student who called me has recovered a couple of credits this year, is on track to graduate in June, and is now regularly harassing his buddies about doing their homework and coming to school.  And for the record, he is the sole financial support for his home and has the only means of transportation.

Another of my kids texted me tonight while I was out walking.  He just wanted to let me know he had finished his night school course and is almost finished with another course in our online credit recovery program.  I’ll be giving him a registration card for the next session of night school tomorrow as well.  And then he too will be on track to graduate.  Incidentally, he became a father this week.

Another student I’ve been working with for two years recently found his motivation.  I’ve been speeching and harassing this kid for two years trying to get him caught up so that he can graduate in June.  Last Tuesday, someone told him he wouldn’t graduate.  That night, while I was at a basketball game, he began texting me and talking about dropping out.  I responded with my thoughts and encouragement but refused to get drawn in to his drama.  Saturday, shortly after my plane landed back in Houston, he texted me again.  Several others had talked to him, and he’d decided the only person keeping him from his dreams was him.  He had a renewed since of purpose and declared that if he didn’t graduate in June it would only be because of his laziness. 

I was very glad to hear (read) about his decision and began planning with him what needed to be done to get to the finish line.  After this texting exchange, he thanked me for being such a great “fake mom”.  He said that his mom didn’t care anymore, so it was all up to him. 

Tonight I checked in with him to see how he was doing.  He reported in his progress, and I offered a few words of encouragement.  He ended with “Thanks fake mom,” to which I responded, “You’re welcome fake son.”

Some people go to Africa.  Others to the inner city.  But I’ve found that the greatest ministry and call on my life happens to be the place I go every single day.  I currently have 711 kids that I claim as “my” kids.  But I’ve been honored to have a handful who have chosen ME to be their “fake” mom. 

No comments: