Thursday, August 7, 2014

Life is Uncertain. Eat Dessert First.

All of the ingredients came together in sweet perfection. I raced home from work to get my lofty supper plan going.  I'd had a random idea to make cinnamon apples to go with our Tex Mex menu and they needed to get in the crockpot pronto.

By the time the apples were on and the enchiladas assembled, Matt and Isabelle were on their way home, with a small Blue Bell detour. It's Thursday. Thursdays are Isabelle days.

Time is short on Thursdays, and the goal is to squeeze in all the good stuff possible.  Supper in progress, I had a few minutes to squeeze in some thank you writing before I heard Isabelle run up to the door and hastily make her way to me.

A nine year old, running hug greeting is pretty much it.

Greetings and hugs and a quick change had us ready for the pool.  When we go to the pool, we are without exception, the only parents who get in with their kids every time, for the whole time. I think for Isabelle, this is heaven.

After a cool swim, I left to finish supper.  By the time they got home, supper was ready and another couple of thank you notes written.  They set the table. Matt served and blessed. And we had a delicious meal that was a win for all eaters. Yes!

After, I asked them to clear the table and rinse the dishes so I could squeeze in a few more notes. Isabelle asked if she could scrub dishes. Can you scrub dishes?  Why yes. Yes you can. On a chair. So Matt gave instructions and they set out to clean. All smiles.

I praised their spotless finish and thanked them, to which Isabelle responded, "I think it's fun."  I agreed. Doing things as a family, as a team, IS fun. I'm glad that tonight she wants to be on the team.

And if all of that wasn't enough, there was dessert. "Mr. Bean's Holiday" and vanilla Blue Bell with homemade cinnamon apples, still warm.

I know that every Thursday won't be this delicious. That is why I'm savoring this one. Just before the movie started, Isabelle said, "For our first family Christmas, I think we should watch 'Christmas vacation'."  All Thursdays may not be like this one, but I'm glad to know that she is already looking ahead to many more special family times.




3 comments:

Patty Fairchild said...

This warms my heart. It is all about the little things in life. I think Isabella is a very lucky girl to have you. There will be days of hardships, but it is all worth it.

Karen Gibson said...

One if the hashtags I use often is #makingmemories. You are making sweet memories, my friend.

Unknown said...

He is amazing! Congratulations on your marriage, you deserve the best!