Sunday, August 3, 2008

D.C. al fine

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight.
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll.
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend.
Even so, it is well with my soul.



I totally thought I was done with this song, because frankly, I'm not one of those people who usually longs for the Lord to return right now. I always think about the things I'd still like to do and experience. I tend to think that it is older folks who really sing with gusto on this verse.

But tonight, I got to experience something that made me long to hear that trumpet sound and see the Lord descend. Our church had a combined service with the other big church of Christ in town. The worship ministers from both places lead us in worship that was entirely singing and reading scripture. Or course, since it was a Sunday night, it was a smaller crowd from both churches, but large enough to fill the chapel. And, as usually happens, it was a group who wanted to sing.

And sing we did. It took my breath away. I have a friend who gives me a hard time(not in a bad way) about being a member of the church of Christ, and more specifically about singing a capella. I wish she could have been there. I think she would have been blown away by not only the beautiful singing but also the moving of the Spirit in that place. It felt like a little bit of heaven.

Tomorrow is my first day back to work, and I haven't really been looking forward to it. I had a difficult year last year, and I've been somewhat apprehensive about what this year might hold. I can't think of a better way to get in the right frame of mind to go back than by the drink of Oasis I got to experience tonight.

1 comment:

Harmony said...

That is awesome. About a month or so ago we had combined Sunday morning worship with another congregation. The singing was so amazing. It also made me excited to hear the singing in heaven. Just another day closer. :)