Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reminder

have a new phone.  It has a feature called “Reminders” that allows you to make a “to do” list and put a check mark beside the items as they are completed.  I love that part; it’s so satisfying to see those check marks.  Here is what is currently on my list: 
                *get car inspected
                *renew car registration
                *talk to credit union
                *returns to Target
                *returns to Walmart
                *laundry
 
I was thinking about the items on my list this morning when I got a Caring Bridge notice that something had been posted.  So, I went in and read the latest news about my friend Johnna.  The doctor says she is in a vegetative state.  Her husband asked for prayers and is waiting two days to make any final decisions.  Heart breaking.
 
I have another friend I keep track of through Caring Bridge.  She has cancer.  She is actually in Houston at MD Anderson this week seeking further treatment options.  I pray they have good news for her.
 
I can’t help but go back to my list and look at it again.  It has some important things on it.  Things I need to do in order to not get a ticket.  Things I need to do in order to have clean clothes.  Important things.  But nothing that REALLY matters is on that list.
 
So what DOES really matter?  I thought about that question the whole time I was getting ready this morning.  I think the answer can be summed up in one simple word, relationships.  A simple word but a difficult reality because relationships are hard work.  But what else matters?
 
My car can be “renewed” and running, but if I don’t have anyone to go see, it’s worthless.
 
You can spend your life at school, C-Scoping, preparing, setting up and organizing, but if you don’t have relationships with your students, you are wasting your time.
 
You can build the car of your dreams, but if you haven’t cultivated a relationship with someone to share the dream with, what is the point?
 
You can work your fingers to the bone and make a fortune, but if you don’t have anyone to share it with or spend it on or give it to, then why?
 
You can have the perfect organizational system with time management principles in place and ultimate efficiency  achieved, but if all of that extra time isn’t used on people who matter, well, that’s pretty inefficient.
 
You can have the schedules done and the changes made and the letters of recommendation written, but if you don’t stop to enjoy your team or your kids, you’ve missed the point of being a counselor.
 
What matters is that all of the family was together for Christmas this year.  The presents didn’t matter too much, but the presence did.
 
Getting my nails done regularly doesn’t matter, but the relationships with my girls does.
 
The middle of the night purchases on Thanksgiving didn’t matter much, but the time spent with family, laughing until my sides hurt, did.
 
Another great feature about my “Reminders” app is that I can make more than one list.  I think it’s time to add a list based on what really matters.
 

1 comment:

Karen said...

Unbelievably, there were some good things that came out of my "health crisis" and one of those was realizing what was really important. Thanks for sharing your important things.