Monday, September 17, 2012

Baby Steps to Peace

Years ago, I went through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, but I must admit that for the past two years I haven't been very peaceful.  I took control of most of my life, but haven't done a great job getting a handle on finances.  So when it was time for the FPU class at church, I figured it was time to make some changes. 

So far, I haven't been taking control very well.  I didn't get around to signing up for the class, so my mom did it for me.  Yay Mom!  Then I missed the first class yesterday because I was sick.  I stayed home from school today and started feeling better this afternoon.  In fact, I was feeling guilty about being home, so I decided to listen to the CD from the class I missed yesterday.  It started going through the Baby Steps. 

Step One:  Start an emergency fund with $1000

A while back, I started saving all of my spare change in canning jars.  While I was listening to the lesson, I decided I needed to take advantage of the day off and go deposit that money in my savings account.


Those change machines at the credit union are super fun to use!  Here was my jar deposit.


The left receipt was $123.93.  The right you can see.  For a grand total of $144.16!!!  Woohoo!  I took those handy receipts to the teller and deposited them, along with the cash from the jars for a total of $170.16.  Yay!  I had set aside another $400 to add to it, bringing me to $570.16.  Over half way to completing my first baby step.

It isn't as if I'm in the poor house or anything, and retirement is well in the works.  It's the day to day things and overuse of a credit card that have been doing me in.

So, today starts the journey toward getting financially peaceful again.  The journey is a little scary on your own, so I'm taking advantage of my emotional support resources including my mom and a very good single friend who is in the same boat.

This week's homework includes a basic budget, the sight of which makes me anxious, not peaceful.  I'll have to tackle it another day.  Baby steps, you know.  =]


No comments: