Wednesday, September 19, 2012

You Can't Take It With You When You Go

I made a casual remark the other day about a couple of the top five things I'd grab on the way out if my home were on fire.  That lead to more serious thought about it, so I figured I'd share.  And to be totally honest, it only took me about three minutes of serious contemplation to come up with ...

The Top Five!
 
5.  Dad's mug.  I vividly remember him drinking coffee from this mug. 
Coffee in Dad's mug smells like home.
 
4.  These are the best little banana bread loaf pans on the planet!  My mom gave them to me.  They are also fabulous for meatloaf and other various things.  I've never seen any like them.  They have the best non stick coating.  They've been cut on (you can see the marks) but they still work perfectly every time.
 
3.  My charm bracelet.  It is symbolic of my journey and often serves as a reminder of where I've been (metaphorically) and where I'm going and what truly matters.
 
2.  Dad's original Enthusiasm Socks.  Obnoxious aren't they?  Love them!  Look closely; you can see the holes.  I wear them occasionally.  Attitude is everything.
 
1.  Zip drive that holds my writing.  The ultimate journal.  Actually, I'd grab either my laptop or the drive, whichever was handier.  The drive lives in my purse so that it is nearly always with me.  Not everything I write is fabulous.  Some of it is terrible.  But it is probably my favorite thing.  Certainly my favorite form of stress/anger/anxiety management.  It is also a secret window into my heart and the crazy way my brain works.  If you REALLY want to know me, ask to read my stuff.  If you really want to LOVE me, appreciate the sharing of it.
 
 
So there you have it.  My most prized possessions.  In the grand scheme of things, stuff just doesn't matter.  People matter.  Relationships matter.  The journey matters.  
 

1 comment:

CristyThoughts said...

Love your list. :)

When we've had serious storms or the possible need to evacuate (we've seen fires close to our home here & when we lived in Dallas), my first thought has always been putting the harness (collar for a Houdini dog ;) ) on Abby and making sure I know where Chloe (our cat) is & that if we leave, there is either a way to grab her or plan to leave a door open so she can get out easily.

I keep so much "life raft" stuff in my purse that grabbing it would cover some of the inanimate objects I'd want to have - I keep cds with our wedding and honeymoon pictures in there and have a flash drive with my writing in there, too. :)

After them, if I have time, I'd grab some of the homemade gifts from family - an art piece from my sister, the afghan Grandma Smith made me and the quilt Grandma Shannon gave me and a small glass sculpture from a local glass factory here that I just love.