Sunday, October 7, 2007

Peer Pressure

What can I say? I've given in to peer/cousin pressure and joined the bloggers. I must admit though that I have some conflicting thoughts about blogging that have made me hesitate to jump in the blogging pool.

First, I think that the very nature of blogging suggests some level of arrogance on the blogger's part. Why? Well, because bloggers must think that they are smart enough or clever enough or funny enough or something that others would want to read what they have to say. I know some people whose emails are really more like blog postings, and I wonder if they really think I care about all of the things they shared.

It's not that I don't like email, but come on, sometimes I just don't need that information.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy reading the cousin blogs as the unique qualities of their personalities that I enjoy in person come through in their day to day musings. So, if there is some level of arrogance there, it's justified because people like me are reading them...and enjoying them.

Hmmm...maybe it's just that I don't want to admit my own level of arrogance. And I know it's there, because frankly, I know I have worthwhile thoughts to share. It's assuming that the rest of the world might want to know them that is arrogant I guess. But I suppose, as Mitch pointed out, if the reader gets bored or annoyed or grossed out or whatever, he/she can just close the browser and move on.

Oh well, after pondering the possibility of the blog for several weeks, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge, embrace my own arrogance, and start writing.

5 comments:

Connie said...

I love it! You are totally right about being arrogant enough to think someone else might want to read, but I do want to read what you have to say, and am excited about it.

Welcome to the proud, the arrogant, the BLOGGERS! (Just kidding!)

Anyway, I am glad you are doing it.
Love ya,
Connie

P.S. I love the way you worded your personality profile. Wild Monkey? Guess I will have to find out more about that one.

Anonymous said...

yes... peer pressure got it's next victim... I'm not last. But anyway...

Harmony said...

The Wiggains and the Clicks have got something going here. How fun. What a great way to see into each other's lives and hopefully stay in better touch.

Tyler said...

I think that blogging is the obvious next step in the post-modern culture we live in. Since there "is no absolute truth," anyone can say anything and everyone HAS to listen...

...unless I hit Alt-F4. Go ahead. Try it.

"To blog is to be."
-Good looking band director

Later,
Tyler

PS I've started a deep thinker race with you, Laura. Let's see who comes out on top (or in this case, on bottom ;-)

Kelly said...

Hi Laura,

Loved your post. It reminded me of an English teacher who said that anyone who writes in a journal is secretly wanting someone to read it. Ha. I'm glad you have decided to join. We can't wait to see what you have to say.

Love ya,
Kelly