Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wen win?

A while back I was seduced by the picture perfect, healthy and strong, model worthy hair of the Wen models.  I actually watched the entire infomercial, sucked in by the before and after pictures of the common woman made camera ready by the magic of the Wen haircare system.  I made my order and waited with great anticipation.

When the box arrived, I was impressed with their environmental conscientiousness.  There was minimal packaging waste.  I read through all of the instructional material and planned my new haircare regime.

So, the question is, was it everything I hoped it would be?

Yes.  And no.

So here's the scoop.  The honest truth from someone you actually know.

First, the instructions advise you to not use hot water on your hair for the wash/conditioning.  Who does that?  I am not a fan of a cold shower.  Not even a lukewarm shower.  But I went with lukewarm anyway as sort of a compromise.

Then, you are supposed to leave the stuff on your hair for like five minutes.  Seriously?  Who has time for that?  But I adjusted my routine so that I could put it on then do the other showering things before rinsing.

The instructions also say to apply the product in sections of your hair and use 5-7 "pumps" of the product per section.  If your hair is long, you should use more, 8-10...per section.  They say the more you use the better the result.  Ok, I'm no genius, but 10 pumps on all the sections of my hair, every day?  That's going to take a LOT of product.

But the truth is, it made my hair very soft.  It also made it stronger.  I had far less breakage and loss of hair.  I actually loved the conditioning shampoo.  The other products in the introductory package were less impressive.  But I really did enjoy the shampoo. 

Unfortunately, to use the product as suggested, would cost a fortune.  I decided not to reorder.

But lo, I didn't have to!  More product was sent to me automagically!  Yeah, they don't mention that part on the commercial.  They keep sending you the product.  And guess what?  They also keep charging you for it!  Go figure.  And the introductory products are cheaper than the regular sized ones.  Amazing. 

I finally called to cancel, but by then, I had one more payment due for the second shipment.  Fantastic.  After jumping through the many hoops with the telephone operator, I was able to cancel.

Great product.  Terrible price.  I decided I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

No comments: