Sunday, April 8, 2012

Nightmares

Scream awake
Dark night dreams
Subconscious
Fights the demons.
Lie awake
Chase the tail
Escaping back
Inside my head.
Scream awake
Security
Run away
From darkness.
Chase the light
Lay back down
Darkness now
Is fading.

I don't remember having nightmares as a kid, but as an adult, they've become a regular occurrence.  About four years ago, their regularity and severity increased.  Two years ago, I was having them several nights a week.  Typically, I scream and wake up.  Sometimes I go right back to sleep.  Sometimes not. 

The number and frequency of them has decreased dramatically in the last year, but last night was a doozy.  I guess my brain continues to work on things while I sleep.  I scared Kim and Lola half to death when I screamed in the waking.  My neighbors probably don't appreciate it either.  I don't even remember what last night's terror was about specifically, just the general theme.  I'm so glad they are on the decline.

No comments: