Monday, April 2, 2012

Altars

Days roll ‘round
Once every year
Reminders of trials
Of judgment and fear

Markers of memories
Of bone deep pain
Of losses so great
Overshadowing gain

Sometimes the day
Marks a big question
So many years later
Claimed only suggestion

Other days conjure
A different feeling
One of victory, freedom
The beginning of healing

But all the days matter
Each one a rock
Stacked into place
Faith building blocks.


Sometimes a recipe calls for you to "reduce" a series of ingredients.  What they are wanting is for you to boil it down to the concentrate.  Or close to it.  They want you to get rid of the water and fluff, leaving just the essence.  That is how I tend to think of poetry. 

Tonight's reduction isn't hitting the spot with me though.  It's failing to fully capture my thoughts.  My heart.  This time of year has many markers for me.  Signposts.  Most are pretty darn painful.  And I think it's ok to stand in that pain for a minute and remember.

But then I think you have to look behind you and see where you've been.  And then look down and up and see where you are.  And then ahead to where you are going.  Appreciate how far you've come.  Feel what you feel right now.  Look forward.  And take a step in faith.