Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Goodbyes

Over the past two weeks I’ve had more goodbye coffee’s, lunches, suppers, and drinks than I can begin to count. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am extremely thankful for the many people in my life who love me enough to want to have individual time with me before I move. And, a number of these engagements were initiated by me, so they were definitely welcome. I’m all about closure and marking meaningful events. But goodbying grows tiring. (hmm…I bet there is a poem in that…)

The old Boys II Men song has gone through my head a dozen times throughout the process. You know the one, “It’s so hard, to say goodbye, to yesterday.” Of course being who I am, I started analyzing the song and decided I disagree with it.

It’s not difficult to say goodbye to yesterdays. It’s difficult to say goodbye to those who helped me survive and cope with yesterdays…

*My counselor buddies who are my go to peeps when the scary stuff comes in my office
*The two ministers who have truly pastored me in the last couple of years
*My alto angel
*Former co-teacher who truly gets me
*Old teaching buddy with the biggest heart in America
*Church gal who has known me from the beginning.

And that doesn’t even include my very best friends. I can’t begin to think about goodbying them yet.

So I’ve decided I’m done with goodbyes. When my dad was sick and in the hospital, he didn’t say goodbye. He always said, “see you later.”

Well, I better go get ready for the next “Later” lunch.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I remember going through this when we moved away from Houston where I had grown up and David and I had lived for 37 years. It was very hard and there came a point where I just thought if we don't leave soon, I am not going to be able to handle this. After you are gone though, you remember the love that all those goodbyes meant and you treasure them. I must say that this age of technology makes a huge difference. When I read books about the pioneer days, I can't imagine saying goodbye and never again seeing your loved ones. Now with airplanes, Facebook, e-mail, blogs, it is so much easier to stay in touch. All that to say, "I feel your pain." See you later.